Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Chennai forums

Almost all of us have an affectionate corner in our hearts for our hometown. Wherever we are, we carry with us, fond memories of times in our hometown. I now live in a city that calls itself, "The greatest city on earth". However great this place might be, my first love is my hometown - Chennai.

Ever since I moved out of my hometown, I've always been on lookout for any news or any event related to Chennai. I surf around the net trying to read up news items and articles on the city, describing the new developments, constructions etc. It is one such trips around the net, that I stumbled on to this forum called 'skyscapercity.com'. This is a forum where people get together and discuss about the various cities of the world, infrastructural and architectural developments, new projects, people initiatives etc.

This forum has a separate section for different countries, cities, transport networks etc. There is a huge section on Chennai that has different sub-forums for general discussions, flyover updates, IT corridors, Road development projects such as ORR, city buildings, malls, MRTS, Metro etc. I'm happy that I've been a member of this forum for more than a year now. There are members from different walks of life and from different places around the world. Members regularly post updates on the city, photos of various city landmarks, under-construction structures etc. We also discussion on the pros and cons of various projects announced by the govt. and some members even draw up their own plans for subways, flyovers etc. There are some who are in the engineering / architecture fields who give us great ideas. Some of the members have taken these ideas to the concerned departments / IAS officers and some of them have actually been implemented.

So, we get to know lots of updates about the city, that even those currently in the city do not know. As a result, I really knew what to expect of the city when I visited the place lmost after 2 years. Though I've not given any great plans or ideas, I do post a few small ideas every now and then or post my views as the common pedestrian who has walked the streets of the city for a long time.

Today, Times of India has run an article about the forum that talks about how the forum brings together many city-lovers from across the world.
Talk of the Town - times of India

Here's a link to the main page of the Chennai section of Skyscrapercity:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1229

2 comments:

SNMS98 said...

semmaya miss panre pola chennaiya, hot chips, carom board, fly over and everything........

me too, beasant nagar and marina beachla ukkandu molaga bajji saapadra maadiri inga irukkara enga oru hangout irukkadhu.....

specerla irukkara mithai mandir, idli kadai ellam frequent panrathu is just unexpalainable.....

waiting to get back..... dont know when that is gng to be....

www.chennaipc.com said...

hi ,

your blog is really impressive ,, i seenthat forum , skyscrapper city ,, and i am really impressed,,

also see my site and give your opnions ,

www.earningwing.com

www.chennaipc.com
www.chennaihunting.com

in the www.chennaihunting.com site , i have mentioned more about the chennai facts and informations ,,

thanks
Balaji